Sunday 22 June 2014

Prayer....

Prayer

Worshipping the Cosmic Idol

O Infinite Spirit, I shall worship Thee as finite, today. O Cosmic Silence, I shall hear Thine unheard voice through the murmur of brooks, the song of nightingales, the sound of blown conch-shells, the beat of oceans, and the hum of vibrations.

India-wise, in the cosmic temple of my mind, in ceremony I shall worship Thee, my Idol of Finitude. I shall behold in reverence Thy face, glowing red with vital power in the sun, and bestowing soothing moonbeam-glances to dispel my gloom.

I shall no more call Thee unseen, for during my worship I shall look straight through Thine infinite, starry eyes into Thy mystic heart. With Thy breath of the heaving wind I shall mix my borrowed breath. My wordless chants of yearning for Thee will sing in cadence with my heart-throbs. I shall feel Thy heart beating in all hearts. I shall watch Thy working hands in the law of gravitation and in all other cosmic forces. In the sound of the feet of all living creatures I shall hear Thy footsteps.

In my worship, I shall behold Thy vast, skiey body, adorned with the dark, twinkling veil of night, or the pale light of dawn, or the grey twilight. O, my Cosmic Idol, garlanded with the stringed beads of the milky way, diademed with the rainbow, wearing diamonds of glittering planets, I bow to Thee.

The pores of the sky perspire with Thy life, and Thy blood runs through Thy veins of rivers, streams, streamlets and the blood-cells of men. No more as unseen shall I worship Thee, but as my seen, Cosmic-bodied Idol.

The temple-bells of nature’s harmony, the drumbeats of sea-roars, the myriad candles of minds and chants of all churches, devotion-flowers from the garden of souls, and the incense of loves — are all assembled by me for Thy worship, O visible Idol of my soul.

With opened eyes and the eye of my mind, I shall behold Thee, my living Idol-of-Nature God, and worship Thee with vocal or mental chants, with a bouquet of devotion, activity, and wisdom, with the language of love, heart-whispers, tearless tears of meditation, and silent sobs of intuition.

From
Whispers from Eternity