Monday 4 September 2017

Swami Vivekananda on Lord Hanuman


A great Bhakta (Hanuman) once said when asked what day of the month it was, "God is my eternal date, no other date I care for."
As on the one hand Hanuman represent the ideal of service, so on the other hand he represents leonine courage, striking the whole world with awe. He has not the least hesitation in sacrificing his life for the good of Rama. A supreme indifference to everything except the service of Rama, even to the attainment of the status of Brahma and Shiva, the great World - gods! Only the carrying out of Shri Rama's best is the one vow of this life! Such whole - hearted devotion is wanted.
Eka-Nishtha or devotion to one ideal is absolutely necessary for the beginner in the practice of religious devotion. He must say with Hanuman in the Ramayana, "Though I know that the Lord of Shri and the Lord of Jânaki are both manifestations of the same Supreme Being, yet my all in all is the lotus-eyed Rama
Hanuman, the best of the monkeys, became the most faithful servant of Rama and helped him in rescuing Sita.
Hanuman, the devotee of Rama, summed up his philosophy in these words: When I identify myself with the body, O Lord, I am Thy creature, eternally separate from Thee. When I identify myself with the soul, I am a spark of that Divine Fire which Thou art. But when I identify myself with the Atman, I and Thou art one.
His devotion to Rama was so great that he is still worshipped by the Hindus as the ideal of a true servant of the Lord.
If you be very generous, you may think that like the great devotee, Hanuman.
Raganuga Bhakti is of five kinds:
(1) Shanta as illustrated by the religion of Christ;
(2) Dasya as illustrated by that of Hanuman to Rama; 

(3) Sakhya as illustrated by that of Arjuna to Shri Krishna; 

(4) Vatsalya as illustrated by that of Vasudeva to Shri Krishna;
(5) Madhura (that of the husband and wife) in the lives of Shri Krishna and the Gopikas.
(The Complete Works of Swami Vivekananda)